Eihr.com website is not updated
Please visit our new website by
following the link below
an Aeolian island
The island of Salina
was formerly a well-know "saline", from
which it gets its topical name. On the other hand,
during antiquity, the island was known under the name
of Didyme (twin mountains), which derives from its two
peaks: Mount Porri, with a height of 870 m, and Mount
Fossa delle Felci, its twin, which culminates at 969 m,
being the highest peak in the Aeolian Islands.
- With an area of 26.8 sq. km., the island of Salina is the second
largest Aeolian island after Lipari.
- Its territory is divided into three
municipalities: S. Marina ; Malfa ; and
- Most of the island, which besides always praises itself to be the greenest island,
forms today the Nature Reserve of "The delle Felci and Porri
- Agriculture is mainly based on vine growing.
As for the local flora, it is mainly composed by
Mediterranean and some endemic plants.
- If it is true that the flora
heritage is rich and varied, the island fauna is
- Indeed, the island is an ornithological paradise, with many species which nest there each year: small endemic birds, raptors, and large migratory birds.
However that may be, you will only
discover the true beauty of this jewel surrounded by
crystal clear waters, when you charter a boat to
sail around the island.
to get there ?
can reach the island all year around from the harbours
of Naples, Messina, Reggio Calabria, Palermo and
crossings are done by hydrofoils or ferries, with one
of the following companies: SIREMAR ,
USTICA LINES and SNAV
closest airports are those of Catania ,
Reggio Calabria and Palermo.
At the airports, you will find a good transfers
service by car, with or without driver, to reach the
main ports of embarkation.
You can also decide to reach Salina by helicopter.
Once on the island, a shuttle service or a taxi will
bring you to the hotel, only 7 km away from the main